Monday, August 21, 2006

Fluke or Destiny? You Be the Judge.

I received a phone call last week that changed my plans to start a new book. An agent called me from NYC, out of the blue, and asked to see the full manuscript of a partial of mine she’d read through a contest. This was an unfinished book I was ready to put on the back shelf and suddenly this big time agent is calling me and asking to see it.

Cool, huh?

Here’s the thing. I really loved this story but I never completed it because I didn’t think it would go anywhere. Yes, it’s a fun story, but I wasn’t sure the world needed another young adult paranormal vampire princess book.

But what can I say? The story bubbled into my head one day, I spent some time brainstorming it with a writer friend, then I quickly wrote four chapters and a synopsis. Then I stopped. Because it was a fluke, that’s all.

But then another friend read it and sent it to her editor who really liked it. Another fluke? Maybe. Then that editor left the company. Sheesh. I decided to give the story one more chance and entered it in a short pitch contest and that’s how this agent came to read it.

And the thing is, this particular agent wasn’t even on my radar. She's big, really big, so it was a real shock when she announced herself and told me she really enjoyed my story. Now chances are, she'll never be my agent, but she made me think maybe this book isn’t such a fluke after all. Maybe I should finish it and give it a fighting chance.

So before starting my new project, I’m finishing this book, because hey, I'm absolutely positive the world needs another young adult paranormal vampire princess book! Don't you agree?

Cheers!

Kate

3 Comments:

Blogger Maureen Child said...

I absolutely agree, Kate!! Clearly, the Fates are sending you a huge sign!! The Vampire Princess is apparently needed by the universe!

Maureen

12:28 PM  
Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

LOL Maureen, I hope you're right!!
Kate

6:05 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Lyon said...

Kate, I can't wait to read your version of a Vampire Princess! The world is waiting...

Huge Contrats on your Golden Heart Win!

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home