Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Face Time

Have I mentioned how much I love my new agent? It’s true! So when she mentioned she’d be in San Diego and asked if I’d like to meet her there, I jumped at the chance (after a few quick calls to rearrange my schedule, LOL). We’d met before, twice, very briefly, in Atlanta, so this would be the first real “face time” we’d have together.

She was in San Diego for the San Diego Writers Conference so I drove down Sunday. We decided to get out of the hotel and drive over to the Hotel Del Coronado for lunch. At this point, she casually mentioned this was her first visit to the West Coast.

Which meant she’d never seen the Pacific Ocean.

Are you with me here, my California friends? Are you feeling my fear? The sudden responsibility falling onto my shaky shoulders? Could I handle it? What if she hated the Hotel Del? I mean, it’s really old and sort of…pompous, just sitting there on the beach. Seriously, it’s just some rambling Victorian monstrosity by the sea. They have those sorts of places all over the East Coast, don’t they?

And while I’m on the subject of fear and responsibility, I might as well admit how nerve-wracking it is, trying to look cool and intelligent while driving your new agent around a town you haven’t lived in for more than 20 years. There are brand new freeways and weird turnoffs and, hello? Where did that bridge come from? I did a MapQuest, but still…it was tricky. At least my car was clean.

And what if the hotel restaurant was closed? Or worse, what if it was open and we had lousy service? OMG, what if she got food poisoning?? It would be MY fault!! For the rest of her life, my poor agent would do all she could to avoid the West Coast. And if she were forced to attend a conference in, say, San Francisco, or maybe Seattle, she might gaze reluctantly at the glorious bay and the Pacific Ocean beyond, feeling her stomach roil as she raised her fisted hand and shouted, “Damn you, Kate Carlisle!”

Yes, I do have an active imagination. And I guess I'm more neurotic than I thought. But that makes me a good writer, right? Hmm.

So I’ll cut to the chase here. The Hotel Del was fabulous. How could it be anything but? My agent brought her camera and we took a picture by the main entrance and I took a picture of her with the ocean and the cliffs in the background. It was very cute!


As we watched the waves, a guy ran past us, then stopped a few feet away to stretch his muscles. He looked like Keen Eddie. Very nice.


Did you know the Hotel's haunted? We tried to figure out which room had the ghost. I found out later it’s room 3312. When I got home, I looked up the story of Kate Morgan’s ghost. You can read about her here. I thought it was interesting that Kate checked into the hotel using a fake name, Lottie Anderson Bernard. Everyone’s got a pseudonym, I guess.

It was fun! We talked and laughed and ate and walked along the boardwalk and talked some more, and you know what? I'm thinking she enjoyed her first visit to California. Whew!

Gas for the drive to San Diego: $23.78
New jacket for the meeting (Chico’s, on sale!): $68.00
Face time with my favorite agent: Priceless!

12 Comments:

Blogger Maureen Child said...

Hey Kate, if YOUR name was Lottie Bernard, wouldn't YOU want to use a pseudonym??

What a great story. And who doesn't love the Del?!?

9:05 AM  
Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Good point, Maureen. LOL

I think I could stay at the Del for a week or so, no problem!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

Yay! Great story! Worth the wait. :-)

I LOVE wandering around the Hotel Del, too, especially with all the history.

And I'm a nut for all the Kate Morgan stories...there are some seriously scary ones that are talked about on those "haunted hotels" shows that surface on the Travel Channel around Halloween. ::shudder:: All I'm saying is I'll never stay in room 3312! LOL

Oh, and no one will ever raise her fist and curse you, Kate. You're too sweet. :-)

3:40 PM  
Blogger sdpenson said...

Hi Kate,

It was so nice meeting you on Saturday!

The Del is a beautiful hotel for ghosts and the living alike.

As long as you don't get into any Poker game scams...that is.

I have something for you....and will make sure that Dana brings it to you at the next meeting.

You will like it...a lot!

So glad that you are back!

Have a glorious week.

~Sandy

6:18 AM  
Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Michele, I should've talked to you before making the trip. Sounds like you've got the whole ::creepy:: story on Kate/Lottie!

Hi Sandy -- It was great meeting you!! Can't wait to see what this treat is! And...poker scam? At the Del? I think we need more details. *g*

6:31 AM  
Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Christine Rimmer said...

Well, that was moi above. Can't spell for sh..er, poop.

Kate,Oh yeah. Great story. All that and a sale at Chico's too.

I've clearly been away from California too long. I'd forgotten all about the Del...

7:24 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Lyon said...

Hey Kate, I'm pretty sure that's where I met my agent too when she was in So Cal. It's lovely. But I didn't have to drive her around--I feel for your nerves. However, I know she had a wonderful time with you. You're funny, kind and smart--what's not to love?

The best part is you seem to have found the perfect agent!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Chris, I knew you'd appreciate the Chico's sale! LOL

Aw Jen, thanks!!

6:38 AM  
Blogger sdpenson said...

Hi Kate..

Kate and her husband Dr. M.C. Anderson (alias) would con unsuspecting young men into a "friendly" game of Poker.

They both came from well to do families...but were really just common....Grifters!

I remember reading this a million years ago. Apparently the Del not wanting bad publicity for the hotel claimed it was suicide..

Not a bad call really when you think about it...look what happened to another hotel many years later...The Watergate!

Have a great weekend..I am taking Friday and Monday off!

~Sandy

6:46 AM  
Blogger Kate Carlisle said...

Ah, Sandy, I remember reading about them scamming up and down the coast. Must be why she checked in under the assumed name and quite probably why she was killed. (I don't believe the suicide story, either.)

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Tashura said...

The 40P hearing aid is more flat and resembles a thick ATM card and will easily fit unnoticed in a pocket. This will sketch the level best costs and how the costs are estimated allowing in to load and length of the distance. Inside cuffs and cinch cords at the waist prevent heat from escaping or cold from coming in The is also Sturdy and durable and has the non-slip, wear-resistant. Finalizing tax issues

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home